Friday, April 10, 2009

The Effects of Kids on Marriage

Let me start off by saying we're all discussing this subject because our parents decided to have kids. We should be grateful for that (I think.)

People say kids change your life. I have never heard anyone add 'for the better.'

There is a new study out (yes, I am fascinated by studies) that says 90% of couples saw a decrease in their marriage satisfaction after the first child.

Childless couples also saw a decrease but at a slower pace. Apparently you can prolong wedded bliss by waiting to have children. It also helps if you're financially stable.
As if that wasn't enough, a Daily Mail reporter asks 'Why DO babies turn so many brilliant women into slummy mummies?' She says women should maintain their good looks after giving birth if they want to keep their husbands. So there. Motherhood is not an excuse to let yourself go.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I think that even long-term coupledom is not an excuse to let yourself go. I think we each can rightfully expect our partner to maintain, to a reasonable degree, their looks and grooming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I suspect some moms might disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'll say it. My life is better because I had children. I enjoy their company, have met wonderful people through them and had some great experiences because of them. And I should add that my life is better because my brother in law had children. My husband and I both think that our lives have been enriched by all of these good people. We might be thinner and richer without them but we'd also be dull and bored.

    ReplyDelete