Saturday, April 25, 2009

No more crazy names for babies

That's what a judge in the Dominican Republic says. He wants to ban names like Acura, Pineapple or Dummy. He says the names are confusing and some give no indication of gender. The proposal will come in front of his commission later this year.

I'd imagine some school teachers might appreciate this.

All I have to say is no such rule guides celebrities.

If you could choose your name, what would it be? I met a Vietnamese man who changed his first name to Bryant when he became a citizen. He says he doesn't know why he selected Bryant.

7 comments:

  1. In Thailand, first names (and last names) are often quite long and flowery. So, many people get nicknames. My mother's generation's nicknames are innocuous - often without much meaning, like a single syllable that sounds cute to the ear, like "O" or "Dui". Some nicknames do have a meaning: my mom's nickname, "Daeng", means "red". Usually the youngest sibling is nicknamed "Lek", meaning "small". Physical characteristics are sometimes the source of the nickname: My cousin had a friend nicknamed "Ooen" which means "chubby". (No one thought this was offensive. As an adult she became very skinny but retained her nickname.)

    But times change, and so do nicknames. By the late 80's, kids were getting nicknames like Ninja, Apple, Film, or Boeing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, is that the ride you got for Andy? Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, his parents got him that ride. He's a huge fan of balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about moving to the Dominican Republic but after hear this new I think I will have to reconsider. I mean, not being able to name my next child "mango" is unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mango sounds like a nice, firm, fragrant, somewhat exotic person. I want to meet that person. Star fruit might be nice too. A bit more exotic than mango.

    ReplyDelete
  6. re: the Swedish Naming Law (1982)

    http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/a-baby-boy-named-q/?hp

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome. You have to give parents credit for a sense of humor... 4 real. This kid will be in your home for 18 years, eat your food and give you all kinds of problems. The least you can get is a laugh on occasion when you call his name.

    ReplyDelete